Static application security testing (SAST) is a process where a set of technologies for analysis of application-source code, byte code and binaries for coding and design conditions that indicate security vulnerabilities. Application from within in a non-running state is evaluated by SAST solutions. You may also find in OWASP official website to find more information relate to SAST.
What it Do?
1. This helps developers in their initial development phases recognize vulnerabilities and quickly solve problems without disrupting builds or moving vulnerabilities to their last version.
2. SAST tools give developers real-time feedback while coding, helping them fix bugs before moving the code to the Production environment. This inhibits and avoids the consideration of security issues.
What the benefit of SAST to the Business?
SAST tools look at codes before they are compiled and warn about faint spots. After the application is compiled, it would be up to 100 times more costly to fix the code. When security codes are early identified, high-risk issues can be addressed without breaking up the application construct instead of checking shortly before release or during post-production. The security checks may be conducted during the development process, mitigating the likelihood of bugs being reached and the the possibility of hackers accessing the program.
S.W.O.T analysis of SAST
Let's us what the Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Treats or SWOT analysis of SAST if we implement in our CI/CD pipeline;
Available Tools in the Market
Best Practice for SCA
- Minimise CI/CD Pipeline. You need to ensure your CI/CD pipeline completed within 10-15mins otherwise your pipeline is not useful.
- Separate CI/CD Jobs. It would help if you separated all the stages and jobs for your CI/CD pipeline it’s easy for audit or troubleshooting process.
- Finalize the tool. Use a tool for static analysis that can perform code reviews in the programming languages that you use. The instrument should also be able to understand the software 's underlying framework.
- Customize the SAST tool. It would be best if you customized of fine-tuning your SAST tool where is needed to reduce the false-positivecases.
- SAST Tool API. Ensure the SAST tool selection has its API for scalability and automation.
- Everything as a Code. Try to automate every stage in your CI/CD pipeline.
- Document Everything. You should consider report all the steps taken and scanning result in your wiki page or knowledge-base page.
SAST is a source and binary code analysis to identify possible security vulnerabilities. It relies however on the use of automated static analysis tools for hands-on applications to identify a wide range of safety issues which affect confidentiality, completeness or accessibility of systems. Static analysis is especially suitable for detecting errors in coding, misunderstanding of language semantics programming, or using known unsecure library funktionality and poor encryption libraries.
Next you should read
Tutorial -> How to implement SAST in CI/CD Pipeline.